Pages

Friday, February 27, 2015

Pinstriping Love

There is a piece of my heart that beats faster for all things automotive - especially classic cars. Give me some shiny chrome and a red metallic flake paint job and my knees go weak. Maybe it's because my dad was a gearhead. Maybe it's because I grew up in Michigan, land of the automobile. Maybe it's because I worked in the auto industry for a time. Or maybe it's just because those curves and smooth lines of perfectly formed sheet metal speak to me. And I confess watching the movie "Cars" gets me every time. Vrroom. Why did tail fins ever go out of style?!

And so, I also love all the pinstriping and hand paint jobs that go with it. Von Dutch, flame jobs, you name it. Lately I've been watching some pinstriping how-to videos and had to give it a try myself.

This was so much fun! I totally don't have the right tools or paints, but made do with some watered down acrylics and a liner brush. 


This is not something you want to try when the morning's caffeine is pulsing through your system! A steady hand is key. Mine was not so steady, but I learned a few tricks along the way.


Also line thickness is key. Didn't quite nail that either, but hey! This is practice! It was just fun to compose on the fly and see what happened!


The above reminds me of a little red rocket ship.

My husband informed me that I may NOT start pinstriping my minivan. No flames either. Bummer.
But I've seen some fun purses, wallets, and even high heels with pinstriping details that are calling to me to try - after I practice a bit more. :)


No comments: