Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Secrets revealed

Babies - everyone loves them! And what's better than one baby but TWO? Double the squishy lovey-ness. I had the joy of attending a baby shower for twins this weekend. It was such fun, especially since many of the people attending made their gifts for the mom-to-be. I knew quite a few people would be sewing/knitting/crocheting goodies for the little ones, so I decided to do a painting. You've seen my sketches and details already. Here is the finished project!

This is a loose translation of a verse from Psalm 128. I used a version that we sing quite often in our worship services. I learned a lot in painting this - like how much I do NOT like to do lettering on a textured canvas! I struggled with my paints as well. Good materials make all the difference! Painting faces is completely out of my comfort zone, but I had lots of time while fighting bronchitis to sit in bed and practice. I have a sketchbook full of happy little faces now! Way back in my illustration classes our prof often told us to find a style that worked for us, but was flexible enough to show variety. Faces have always been a challenge for me, so I'm still seeking my own solution. Not a lot of variety in these kids, but it keeps the focus on the text.



No comments: