Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Newly Spun Yarn!

I set myself to the task of spinning an entire braid of wool on my drop spindle in order to hone my skills (they need much honing!). I present 200 yards of yarn with a somewhat consistent diameter. The braid was purchased at the Allegan, MI wool festival in August 2010. The info tag is missing, but I think I remember this is Falkland wool???

 The colors remind me of peas and carrots!
This is a squishy, soft yarn. Despite some areas of unevenness and some overspun sections, I'm so happy with how it turned out! This will knit into some thing very warm for this winter - a hat or mittens perhaps?

Lest you think I have a quiet life where I can sit and spin while dreaming of great things, here's proof that you never know what the day will bring. My son gashed his leg at the beach and had to have 6 stitches - all the day before his birthday! Poor kid! But he was tough as nails and never flinched while the doctor was sewing him together. 
a birthday badge to remember his last day of being 7 yrs old

1 comment:

Twinfibers said...

Oh no! Sounds like our boys have experienced some of the same things in the past few months! Ouch! I hope he's getting along alright with the stitches. :)