Pages

Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Knitting

I did a few last-minute handknits for Christmas gift this year. I was excited to try out Kristin Nichols's book "Color". There are so many eye-popping designs in here! I raided my stash and came up with some yarn to make these mittens for my daughter, to match the hat I knit earlier this year.
Mother-Daughter mittens
Even stitched her name on one palm!
Mother-Daughter mittens

My son has invented an imaginary land called Boyland (genius name, eh?). It's ruled by the high emperor, Elishar, and his semi-tamed polar bear Turfa. Like most polar bears, this one is extremely mischevious and snobby about his food. He'll only eat Honeycrisp apples! It's been well over a year that my son (and the rest of the family, by implication) has created Turfa. I wanted to remember this stage in my boy's life before he outgrows it, so I knit up a Turfa hat for him. The fair isle knitting bug has bitten me hard!! It came out pretty big; it fits me just fine but drowns the boy. I guess he'll never outgrow it, right?
polar bear hat

polar bear hat
Hmm, maybe a bit of blocking would even out those stitches. I'm still perfecting my Fair Isle knitting!